Advising and Support

Program Questions

If you are a prospective student, contact a prospective student advisor!

If you are a current Education student and have questions about your program contact Undergraduate Student Services and one of our Student Services staff will help you. You can connect with Undergraduate Student Services and/or a Student Advisor by:

1) Sending us an email.

Email your program related questions to Undergraduate Student Services at and one of our Student Services staff will respond within a few business days.

2) Submitting a service request form.

Many of your program related questions can be answered by submitting a service request form to Undergraduate Student Services. For example, if you have questions about the accuracy of your registration or if you want to know if you are on track with your program, submit a request for a Registration Check and one of our Student Advisors will check your registration and follow up with you through email. See the forms section of our website to view a complete list of our service request forms. Most likely we have a service request form that will address your needs.

3) Meeting with a Student Advisor.

Meeting with a Student Advisor is as simple as visiting Undergraduate Student Services on one of our drop-in advising days (For current drop-in schedule and availability please check the Contact tab under Student Advisors). Drop-in advising operates on a first-come, first-serve basis which means that you may have to wait to see a Student Advisor. Before coming into Undergraduate Student Services, please review the information below so you know what to expect when meeting with a Student Advisor.

During an appointment Student Advisors can:

  • Provide general advice/guidance about program planning
  • Respond to questions about specific degree requirements
  • Discuss the possibility of taking a course at another institution
  • Direct you to on-campus resources (ex. academic, financial, and/or personal support options)

Due to the time constraints and responsibilities, Student Advisors are not able to assist you with the following during drop-in appointments:

  • Check your registration to ensure its accuracy. This can be done by submitting a Registration Check or, if you are registered in the final year or term of your program, by submitting a Graduation Check. Please see the forms section of our website for more information.
  • Help you register in courses using Bear Tracks. Registering in courses is your responsibility. Student Advisors are not able to do this for you; however, there are many resources available to help you navigate Bear Tracks. For more information see the Your Program and Registration section of our website.
  • Provide detailed information about how a change of major and/or minor will impact your degree requirements (for students in the Secondary program). If you are interested in changing your major and/or minor, submit a request to Undergraduate Student Services and a Student Advisor will follow up with you. Request form is available in the Forms section of our website. For information about the requirements for each major and minor, please see Education Chart 1 and Education Chart 2 in Faculty of Education section of the University Calendar.
  • Evaluate transfer credit or coursework for application to the program. The evaluation of transfer credit is a lengthy and complicated process. Student Advisors are not able to conduct an evaluation during an appointment so it’s best to leave your transcripts at home. Current students can request an evaluation of coursework by submitting a request for a Credit Check. Prospective students will have coursework evaluated as part of their application for admission.

Academic Support

If you are struggling academically, you are not alone. Many students experience academic difficulties for a variety of reasons. Our role at Undergraduate Student Services is to provide you with support and advise you of your options. We can help you make a plan which might include:

  • Withdrawing from a course
  • Utilizing academic supports on campus
  • Connecting with counselling services
  • Taking a break from school

To discuss your options, please email

Additional campus resources:

Academic Success Centre
The Academic Success Centre provides professional academic support to help students maximize their academic success and achieve their academic goals. We offer appointments, advising, group workshops, online courses, and specialized programming year-round to students in all university programs, and at all levels of achievement and study.

Centre for Writers
Free, one-on-one writing support in any subject, discipline, program, or faculty, and at all levels of study and with any type of assignment.

The Faculty of Education reviews the academic performance of all students who attempt at least 9 credits (usually 3 courses) in the Fall/Winter and/or the Spring/Summer. Our review of your academic performance is based on your grade point average (GPA) after the Fall/Winter period and/or after the Spring/Summer period. The academic performance of students who attempt less than 9 credits (as in 3-6 credits) will not be reviewed.

Depending on your GPA after the Fall/Winter and/or Spring/Summer, you will fall into one of three categories (referred to as your academic standing in the program):

    1. Satisfactory Standing. If your GPA is 2.0 or higher after the Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer, provided you attempted at least 9 credits, you are considered to be in satisfactory standing.
    2. Marginal Standing: Academic Warning. If your GPA is 1.7 - 1.9 after the Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer, provided you attempted at least 9 credits, you are considered to be in marginal standing and will be placed on Academic Warning as a result.
    3. Unsatisfactory Standing: Required to Withdraw. If your GPA is 1.6 or less after the Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer, provided you attempted at least 9 credits, you are considered to be in unsatisfactory standing and will be Required to Withdraw from the faculty as a result. Students who are Required to Withdraw have the opportunity to appeal to remain in the faculty provided this is the first time you’ve been Required to Withdraw from the Faculty of Education.

If you are concerned about your GPA, Academic Warning or being Required to Withdraw, please contact the Academic Support Advisor at to discuss your options. For more information about how the Faculty of Education assesses academic standing, refer to Academic Standing and Promotional Standards found under Faculty Regulations in the Faculty of Education section of the University Calendar.

This document outlines the appeals policy and procedures for undergraduate students in the Faculty of Education. Graduate students in the Faculty of Education should consult the Office of the Dean for information related to appeals policy and procedures.

Refer to the above linked document for important details and the proper order of procedure, but please be aware of the important deadlines for an appeal to the Associate Dean of delegate:
February 15th for Fall term courses
June 15th for full-year and Winter term courses
July 15th for Spring term courses September 15th for Summer term courses

Any exceptions or extensions related to term work are made at the discretion of the instructor. If you miss term work (e.g. classes, labs, assignments, quizzes, term papers, reports, midterms) contact your instructor immediately. Undergraduate Student Services does not get involved unless your absence relates to the final exam.

If you have missed a final exam due to incapacitating mental and/or physical illness, domestic affliction or other serious reasons, you may apply to Undergraduate Student Services to defer your final exam. The application is available on the Forms section of our website. Before applying, please make note of the following.

  • Applications are not automatically approved. Undergraduate Student Services reviews the reason for your absence to see if it falls within the guidelines for granting a deferred exam and contacts your instructor to check if there are any issues with attendance/participation or outstanding coursework. At any point in this process, you request may be denied.
  • Applications require supporting documentation related to the reason for your absence. We will not be able to process your request until documentation is provided.
  • Applications are not normally approved in advance of your final exam. The deferred exam process is designed to address unforeseen circumstances, like incapacitating illness, that occur on the day of your exam and prevent you from being able to write.

This information applies to final exams only. If you are absent from midterm examinations, you must contact your instructor. Refer to the information on Absence from Term Work contained in the section above.

Wellness Room

About the Wellness Room

The Faculty of Education is excited to announce the Wellness Room. While we are not able to offer our programming in person this Fall we thought we would start by offering online resources and workshops here. The goal of the Education Wellness Room is to provide a space for undergraduate students, faculty and staff to relax and focus on their physical, spiritual, emotional and social wellness.

Wellness Workshops

Please feel free to use the videos below from previous Wellness Workshops to help facilitate your Mental and Physical wellbeing!




Counselling and Clinical Services Workshops can be found here. We will be offering 1 workshop specifically to Education students. This workshop will be delivered to students in their IFX seminar and the topic will be Managing Stress.

Wellness Moments

Stay In

Sign up for the Healthy Campus Units Stay-In Connected Newsletter

Sign up here


Unitea gives students a way to connect in supportive, respectful, safe, and meaningful ways through conversations during One-to-One Tea Times and Collective Tea Times.

Find out more

Personal Support/Counselling

If you are looking for personal support options, there are several links below, including the Office of the Dean of Students’, which is a good place to start as it contains contact information for student service resources, including services that focus on mental health. 

Office of the Dean of Students Student Services
Through an interconnected portfolio of programs and services, the Dean of Students provides supports and opportunities that enable students to pursue their academic and personal success. 

Need Help Now? 
If there is immediate risk of harm to yourself or others, contact 911. For other off-campus and telephone community supports available 24/7, click Need Help Now.

ACCESS Outreach Team
For immediate, one-on-one assistance in accessing available resources go to the drop-in space in CAB  2-89. Or, go to

Counselling & Clinical Services
Counselling & Clinical Services aims to provide accessible and compassionate psychological and psychiatric services to U of A students. Using a short-term therapy model, we help students improve their personal, social, and academic well-being.

ACCESS Open Minds
Bridging service gaps and connecting students to timely and effective resources.

University Health Centre
Providing comprehensive medical services for students and their immediate family, including full general practice, immunizations, and specialists in OB/GYN and podiatry.

Sexual Assault Centre
Offering free and confidential counselling and support for individuals affected by sexual assault, sexual harassment, relationship violence, or stalking. 

St. Joseph's College Counselling Services 
St. Joseph's College provides free counselling with our campus ministers. This service is offered to all U of A students regardless of their religious background.

Interfaith Chaplains' Association
Here for every member of the campus community. The Interfaith Chaplains' Association serves the University of Alberta from the understanding that life, including academic life, is a spiritual journey.

Faculty of Education Clinical Services
Clinical Services at the University of Alberta is committed to the community at large through the provision of low cost counselling services to the general public.

Peer Support Centre
The Peer Support Centre (PSC) is a Students' Union service that offers a free, confidential, and non-judgemental place to talk to someone for support.

Community Social Work Team
The Community Social Work Team provides support to all U of A students, staff, and faculty in connecting to each other and the campus community by facilitating a variety of training sessions, prevention programs, and peer connection activities. 

Workshops & Documents

Counseling and Clinical Services Free Drop-in Workshops
Drop-in workshops are casual, one-time events that give you a chance to learn about a mental health topic while interacting with a psychologist (or intern) and your peers. 

How to help others: Responding to a disclosure of sexual violence

External Resource for Post-Secondary Students - From Surviving to Thriving: Developing Personal and Academic Resilience
Students can move from merely surviving their post-secondary experience to actually thriving. This resource can help them build resilience and minimize the negative impact from stressful situations.

If you are not able to find what you are looking for, please contact Undergraduate Student Services, and we can point you in the right direction.

Program Planning FAQs

What if I need to take more than the maximum course load?
Students are able to register in *15 credits in Fall Term and Winter Term and *6 credits in Spring Term and Summer Term. If you would like to register in more than the maximum you must request a Course Overload from our office. 

You can request a Course Overload on the Course Overload Request form, located in our office or on the forms page.  Please review the conditions for receiving a course overload, which are outlined on the form. The form can be submitted in person or by fax to 780-492-7533.

Students considering a course overload should be aware that they are not recommended, and that they should be aware of all pertinent deadlines, such as the add/drop and withdrawal deadline, so as not to incur a financial or academic penalty.

How do I know if I received transfer credit for a course that I completed at another institution?
We can review the courses that were transferred into your program. You will need to fill out a Transfer Credit Check form. This form is available in our office or in the Forms section of the site. 

This request normally takes 10 working days to complete, so be aware of registration dates.

Can I have a double major and/or double minor?
An official double major or minor is not available in the Education degree. If you would like to be prepared to teach additional subject areas you can take courses to be used in your Non-Education or Open Options. 

In addition, you can complete course work that will be declared Extra to Degree. Keep in mind that some courses may be restricted to students in a particular major, minor, program or faculty. The courses you take will be listed on your transcripts so they can be viewed by potential employers when you apply for teaching jobs. You can also pursue a Diploma program in a variety of areas after you have completed your degree program. Information on the Diploma Programs can be found in Section 76.2.2 of the U of A Calendar.

When are final grades posted?
Final grades should be posted on BearTracks about a week after the final exam. If it has been longer than a week, you can contact the teaching department for the course.  You can find out which department offers a course by checking the Course Catalog in Bear Tracks or the Course Listings in the U of A Calendar. You can link to Faculty and Department listings here for contact information.

What is the Introductory Field Placement (IFX)?  What is the Advanced Field Placement (AFX)?
Please refer to the Field Experience website:

Can I complete my degree part-time?
You can work on the Four Year Degree on the main campus or two-year After Degree on a part time or full time basis. To maintain your active status in the program you must be registerd in a minimum of *3 credits per academic calendar year.  However the Introductory and Advanced Professional Terms must be taken full time. 

How many credits must I complete within the Faculty of Education (Residency Requirement)?
For the *120 1+3 BEd degree, you can transfer a maximum of *60 credits from an external institution OR up to *75 from another Faculty on campus.  

For the *60 two-year BEd After-Degree, you can transfer a maximum of *30 credits from an external institution or another Faculty on campus.

For the *24 Diploma program, you can transfer a maximum of *12 credits from an external institution or another Faculty on campus.

Most Education courses are restricted to students enrolled in the Faculty of Education, so it is strongly recommended that students apply to Education at the end of their first year and no later than your second year (maximum *60 completed).  After-Degree students should plan on completing their whole degree within the Faculty of Education.

Program Requirement FAQs

What courses count as Non-Education Options?
An Education Option is any class offered by the Faculty of Education that is not already required elsewhere in the program. These are usually courses which start with the prefix ED__ with the exception of LIS courses. You can find out which department offers a course by checking the Course Catalog in Bear Tracks or the Course Listings in the U of A Calendar. Also, EDU 200 cannot be used as it is restricted to students in the Fresh Start program.

What courses count as Non-Education Options?
Any course that is not offered by the Faculty of Education and is not already used to fulfill a degree requirement can be used as a Non-Education Option. You can find out which department offers a course by checking the Course Catalog in Bear Tracks or the Course Listings in the U of A Calendar. Although LIS courses are offered by the Faculty of Education, they can be used as Non-Education Options. 

What are Open Options?
An Open Option can be any course taken at the U of A, or any course that transfers to the U of A from an external institution (Please also refer to Can I Take A Course Outside of The U of A? below). It can be offered by the Faculty of Education or from another faculty at the U of A. 

What courses are required to work for the Catholic System?
Edmonton Catholic School Board does not require teachers to have certain courses as a condition of employment. However, in order to get a permanent contract with Edmonton Catholic, the school board requires teacher to have CHRTC 250: The Theological Education of the Catholic Teacher. In addition, CHRTC 380: Christian Religious Education and the Child is required for Elementary teachers and CHRTC 381: Christian Religious Education and the Adolescent/Young Adult is required for Secondary teachers.  These courses are offered by St. Joseph's College.

If you would like to complete these courses while you are in the BEd program, they can be used as Non-Education Options, Open Options, or they can be declared as Extra to Degree. For further information on working for Edmonton Catholic, or for information on working in a different Catholic school district, please contact the specific school district that you are interested in.

Do CHRTC 250, 380, 381 (the courses that Edmonton Catholic School Board requires for a permanent contract) count as Education Options?
No. These courses are not offered by the Faculty of Education and as a result cannot be used as an Education Option.

Can I take a course outside of the U of A?
To take a course at an external institution and to receive transfer credit into your Education program, you must request a Letter of Permission from Undergraduate Student Services. This can be done on the Request for Letter of Permission form, found in the USS office or in the forms page. The course must transfer to the U of A and fit in your program. Also, you must be in good academic standing (a GPA of 2.0 or higher) and have less than the maximum allowable credits transferred from outside of the U of A. Permission will not be granted if the course is available in that term at the U of A. Please also refer to How Many Credits Must I Complete Within the Faculty of Education (Residency Requirement)? Some other restrictions may apply.

How can I change my major/minor?
Students considering a change of major or minor should contact their student advisor for an appointment. To proceed with the change you must submit a Request for Change of Major/Minor form to Undergraduate Student Services. Sample program sheets and the Request for Change of Major/Minor forms can be found in the Forms section. Please keep in mind that a change of major/minor can result in loss of credit because some of your classes may no longer fit in your program.  Additional questions regarding a change of major/minor should be directed to your Student Advisor. 

How can I change my route?
To change from Elementary to Secondary, or Secondary to Elementary, you must submit a new application to the program by the application deadlines and compete for admission along with all new applicants. To apply please go to It is recommended that you review an information package on the route you wish to apply to, which is available on the Programs section of our website, or in Undergraduate Student Services.  You may not change your route if you have previously completed any student teaching in your current program.